Thursday, November 3, 2011

Other things than speaking?

senoritafish has written "Other things than speaking?" on Visit the kelpforest


So yesterday was Autistics Speaking Day (the autistic response to Communication Shutdown), and while I started this on the day, I'm finishing late, as per usual for me (writing as an ally, although I'm really not sure about myself). I'd asked Angus awhile ago if he'd like to participate himself, and all I really got was a frown; I'd sent him an email with a link about it, but he forgets to check it, friends don't email him like they do his brother, so if there's anything in there, it's probably from either me or his grandma, and what 13-year-old rushes to read those? In teenage fashion - which he is now - I theorize he's just thinking mom is bugging him again about something he's not really interested in. He's really not that interested in social media anyway - he does have a Tumblr account, but mostly likes the "Ask Anything" questions. He writes fairly detailed essays for school (and is praised quite a bit for vocabulary), but to do that outside of school? And not for fun? When he could be coming up with new comic book ideas or making up new piñata creatures for his Viva Piñata game...


Viva Pinata Ideas- Moosesicle by ~datadoggieein on deviantART

... or perusing various fan wikis for every last detail or trivia about the ones he has? Or going with me for a long walk, down to the end of the pier, maybe helping me find a geocache along the way? Coming up with the idea of being a plague doctor for Halloween, or even, finishing his homework - which he actually has been doing first, without prompting, lately (which I'm shocked and thrilled by, even I had problems with that).

Last night while I was making dinner, he did finally read the article I'd linked him to, brows knitted all the while, thought about it a bit, and then declared to me, "I'm not an auto-biographer, Mom!"

Ah well. Maybe in a few years, or in other mediums. Choosing to not speak (or write) when he could is also valid. He's got a lot of pressing issues just being an eighth grader. ;)

Go Listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Open discussion is encouraged, but posts judged to be bullying or using inappropriate languages may be deleted. Please exercise good judgment when commenting. Comments will be moderated.