Saturday, November 1, 2014

Spoken Word From Shaping Clay (#CRCon #Neuroqueer followup)

Michael Scott Monje Jr. submits "Spoken Word From Shaping Clay (#CRCon #Neuroqueer followup)" from Shaping Clay



Sooooo.... today is Autistics Speaking Day. It's an important day for autistic people, a day created by activists in our community for the purpose of raising our voices and making sure that every conversation about us is with us. And I am just too tired to come up with an essay. That's hard for me to know, because this has been an important day for me for a couple of years now. I mean, I essentially started a new and transformative period in my life with last year's posts.

The fact is, though, that I just don't have it in me. I'm pooped. I mean, I didn't even get Imaginary Friends up this week. It's not that I'm being lazy either--it's just that yesterday, I drove up to Michigan State University for the Cultural Rhetorics Conference. Dr. Melanie Yergeau and I presented on Neuroqueer there, announcing to the conference the forum call and the community goals behind the concept and the conversation that has been generated around it. Sooooo yeah... I don't have a lot of essay in me on Autistics Speaking Day, because I did a lot of it yesterday. And I will have a transcript available on the Neuroqueer blog once I have time to put it together. But I don't have it in me to write a post.

They say that we're literal people, though, so I'll take the prompt literally. I set up my home recording booth this afternoon and put (most of) these spoken word performances together.


Go to Shaping Clap for more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Open discussion is encouraged, but posts judged to be bullying or using inappropriate languages may be deleted. Please exercise good judgment when commenting. Comments will be moderated.