Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Sad Little Autistics Can't Get Girlfriends and That's Not a Bad Thing

Dani Alexis writes Sad Little Autistics Can't Get Girlfriends and That's Not a Bad Thing from Autistic Academic



Sad Little Autistics Can't Get Girlfriends and That's Not a Bad Thing


How many TV shows and movies now feature sad white cishet autistic guys who can’t get dates now? I’ve lost count.
Plenty has been written about tired-ass stereotypes in shows like Atypical and The Good Doctor, and I’m not interested in rehashing it here. Nor, to be honest, am I even particularly interested in revisiting the stuff on gendered expectations of dating and emotional labor that Emma and I did a while back (the first post of which is here if you missed that particular rabbit hole back when).
I am interested, on this year’s Autistics Speaking Day, in speaking about the following points:
1. Yeah, we flirt weird.
When I headcanon fictional characters (or real people) as autistic, it’s usually because I’ve noticed one or more traits:

1 comment:

  1. The traits you notice - I might see those too in fiction.

    "Yeah, we flirt weird" ... and more.

    ReplyDelete

Open discussion is encouraged, but posts judged to be bullying or using inappropriate languages may be deleted. Please exercise good judgment when commenting. Comments will be moderated.