Tuesday, November 1, 2016

You call me expressive and miss the struggle it takes

I don’t want to hear that I’m expressive.

I want to learn that it’s okay to never be able coordinate my movements when I turn toward a door frame, resulting in the inevitable collision. I want to learn that I can focus on my movements, unapologetically Autistic in the ways my hands move, slowing to let myself tap invisible pianos and move my hands back and forth to the music.

I want people to learn to value diversity in communication and movement. I want people to make the effort to understand me, as I make the effort to understand them. I want people to learn that the ways I speak and move are, now and always, acceptable and valid.

*This is an old post because the past few months have been chaotic!

1 comment:

  1. THANK YOU for your words. It was so refreshing to read. I hope it soaks in for others who read it as well.

    ReplyDelete

Open discussion is encouraged, but posts judged to be bullying or using inappropriate languages may be deleted. Please exercise good judgment when commenting. Comments will be moderated.